Summer is coming to end, but the temperatures are still smoldering. Is the real estate market for the Puget Sound area still on fire like our recent temperatures or did August bring a cool down for home sales? Keep reading to find out if it was still a hot month for the housing market and other important statistics you should know from NWMLS.
Real Estate Report for Thurston County
- For the month of August, there were 847 active listings in Thurston County.
- By the end of August, active listings were spending 80 days on the market.
- The number of closed sales year to date through August increased by almost 600 homes for a total of 3,568; nearly 400 more than last year.
- This year for August, the price of homes rose by 6 percent.
- Thurston County available inventory remained low with only 1.3 months of stock for the month of August.
Puget Sound Real Estate Overview
Similar to Thurston County, home market results around the region show increased sales and low inventory when compared to last year. Here are some key figures from the month of August.
- Closed sales increased by 6 percent (10,347 homes) in the area compared to the previous year.
- When considering the entire region’s home prices, values rose by 12 percent; this is double the rise of Thurston County.
- For August there were 15,987 active homes on the market, this is a decrease of 13 percent when compared to this time last year.
- Similarly to Thurston County, the available inventory for the entire region as of August 31, 2017 was 1.5 months.
From these numbers, the real estate market in Thurston County and around the region saw blazing results. With low inventory and rising prices, it is still a seller’s market. Will fall continue to see the same results for home sales? Come back next month to see how September plays out and contact me today to find out how I can help you sell your house.
Karin Zeigler brings a wealth of knowledge and expertise in buying and selling residential real estate in the South Puget Sound area including Thurston, Mason, Lewis and Pierce counties. Whether you’re looking for a first house, downsizing, or have special circumstances such as military loans, Karin can help you find your dream home. Contact her today, or call 360-870-6249, to start your home buying or selling process.