After reading about last month’s home market report, have you decided that it may be time to sell your house? Before you put your home on the market, take some time to make improvements that will increase your home equity and get more when you sell. These five ideas will help you update your house without breaking the bank.
5 Ways to Boost Your Home Equity
- Add New Paint. Paint is a wonderful tool to update your home and add instant equity. A new coat on the walls can brighten up the room with a fresh, new feeling, while updating the exterior color of the house can change the entire appearance and give it a modern touch. With a little extra elbow grease and time you can even dive into painting your cabinets, changing the entire look of your kitchen.
- Update the Flooring. If you have a room or two with older, stained carpeting or scuffed and cracking wood floors, consider updating them with new carpets or flooring. This will make the home feel clean and welcoming.
- Replace Old Fixtures. Going through your house and replacing out of date light fixtures is an easy way brighten up the space with a modernized feel and increase home equity without having to spend an arm and leg.
- Add New Plants. The outside of your home is the first thing people notice when they pull up to your house. Spruce up the landscaping by adding pops of color in the yard with vibrant plants, and make sure the grass is regularly mowed.
- Clean and Declutter. This may seem obvious, but keeping your home clean and free of clutter helps it stay in tip-top shape; it will also allow you to notice any major repairs right away.
Of course, there are other options to increase your home equity, such as replacing appliances and complete remodels of key areas like bathrooms and kitchens. However, with these tips, you can increase the value of your home in just a weekend and you don’t need an extravagant budget to do so! What are some other ways you can think of to quickly add some equity to your home?
Karin Zeigler brings a wealth of knowledge and expertise in buying and selling residential real estate in the South Puget Sound area including Thurston, Mason, Lewis and Pierce counties. Whether you’re looking for a first house, downsizing, or have special circumstances such as military loans, Karin can help you find your dream home. Contact her today, or call 360-870-6249, to start your home buying or selling process.